Thursday 11 September 2008

I sing of old cookbooks!

Yes, and I have sung before but I have more to say. This time it's about Basic French Cooking by Len Deighton (writer of spy novels like Tinker, Tailor, Soldier Spy). I read an article in the Guardian about the joys of cookbooks from days gone by (someone after my own heart!) and Deighton's book was mentioned. I had no idea that he had gone to art college and at one point had also written a cookery column in the Observer. The column was illustrated with cartoons, demonstrating various cooking techniques. Apparently, he put himself through art college working in restaurants and he would pin these strips up to keep his cookbooks clean. The book is now out of print but I managed to find a copy on Amazon.com for a reasonable price. In the UK the book was anywhere from £27 up. I got a deal at $9.
It really is wonderful and I can't help but wonder why it hasn't been reprinted! Good, sensible recipes, illustrated by the aforementioned cartoon strips. How I hate a cookbook littered with expensive, glossy photographs. I am slowly working my way through and am on the section about applying heat to food. I have learned a lot and will share some of it at a later date. My dinner is awaiting and so I leave you here.

2 comments:

Mary Jane Murray said...

What a talent, he wrote spy novels and cookbooks. Do you think there is something about autumn that leads us into cookbooks? I'm thinking there may be. mj

Mary Jane Murray said...

Thanks for the opportunity to spend some time with this cookbook. I now see why you recommend it. It's terrific. I was suprised to find the illustrations so enjoyable.

mj