Sunday 5 April 2009

Lemons


Though lemons can be expensive, they go a long way. I have two bags in my refrigerator at the moment (a 2 for 1 deal) and I use them a lot since discovering that they are good at slowing down the digestion of certain carbohydrates. I've become very attached to lemon and hot water, and just recently, lemon and mint tea. I was really pleased to find this recipe by Nigel Slater in the Observer Magazine (5.4.09) for Lemon posset. Emma and I were served it at Oxford last weekend and every once in a while I find it in Marks and Spencer's.

Makes: 4 small glasses

Ingredients

500 ml double cream
150 g caster sugar
75 ml lemon juice

1. Put the cream and caster sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir occasionally to dissolve the sugar.

2. Lower the heat and leave to bubble for 3 minutes. Stir occasionally.

3. Reduce the heat so that the mixture doesn't boil over. Let it boil enthusiastically for about 3 minutes more, stirring regularly.

4. Remove from the heat, stir in the lemon juice and leave to settle.

5. Put into glasses and refrigerate for a few hours.

No comments: