Wednesday 21 October 2009

Corn Bread Recipes

The other day, I decided to make corn bread. I haven't done so for a long time because I have always had a hard time finding corn meal (corn flour in Canada) in the U.K. I went into my usual source, a health food store, only to discover that they don't stock it anymore. I also found out that it wasn't called corn meal by them but maize meal. Whatever it's called, it wasn't available. I then went to several supermarkets without much hope since I had never found it there before. Today, I had luck in Waitrose and discovered that they called it polenta. Funny! I often wondered what polenta was. It does say on the package that it is 'fine' and I wonder if the cornmeal/cornflour/maizemeal/polenta I'm used to is supposed to be coarse! I'll soon find out since I'm going to try and make corn break tonight! Wish me luck and below is the recipe I'm going to try from the website: http://southernfood.about.com

Ingredients:

* 1 1/2 cups stone ground cornmeal
* 1 cup all-purpose flour
* 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
* 1/3 cup canola oil
* 1 large egg

Preparation:
Grease a 9-inch square baking pan. Heat oven to 350°. Combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl or large cup, whisk together the buttermilk, oil, and egg. Combine the two mixtures until blended and spread in the prepared pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until lightly browned.


I'll let you know how it turns out!

Later!

I'm still waiting for it to come out of the oven but I just wanted to add that I decided to put 1/2 a red pepper in it. I think that the colour will look great and the flavour will add something to it. We shall see!

6 comments:

Mardi Michels said...

Hi Susan - you should join our foodies exchange group!!!

http://groups.google.ca/group/foodie-exchange?hl=en

We could send you cornmeal and you could send us English treats!!!

Mary Jane Murray said...

Recipe sounds good...especially with addition of red pepper. How did it turn out?

Mary Jane Murray said...

Forgot to say re new blog picture: WOW! Doing more with less should maybe be changed to doind a whole lot more with less! Are they US flags on the cupcakes?

Mary Jane Murray said...

Corn Bread out of the oven yet?

Stephanie said...

I'd love to hear how it turned out!

Serendipity said...

I made this a couple of weeks ago and it was lovely! Making it again today with Noah to have with beans for dinner!