Wednesday 7 July 2010

Madeleines

I still haven't managed to make the sponge cake I said that I would in the last post but I did finally make madeleines. I went to Paris in 2005 and one of the items I brought back was a madeleine tin. In all those intervening years I have never used that tin! But I have now. Twice!

I used Rick Stein's recipe but checked another recipe after I made the first batch and they didn't come out quite as I expected. Rick Stein suggests that you put the batter in the fridge for 15 minutes before baking. In Paris Sweets, they suggest that you wait a minimum of 3 hours and that you can keep the batter for up to two days. My second batch worked much better than the first so I would suggest waiting.

I had to go to Paris for my tin because at the time they weren't sold in the UK. However, you can now get them at Lakeland for only £7.95. Certainly less expensive than a trip to Paris, though perhaps not as interesting!

Today I promise to make one of the sponges and report back tomorrow!

2 comments:

Mary Jane Murray said...

Thanks for update on Madelines. As you know, I have a copy of Paris Sweets too, my favourite recipe book. I'm not surprised that the better sponge cake recipe was in it.

Mary Jane Murray said...

oooops...I spelled Madeleines incorrectly in previous posting.