Sunday 6 July 2008

Weights and Measures - Equivalents

My favourite book for finding out anything about cooking that I'm not sure of is Prue Leith's The Cook's Handbook. I don't think that it's in print at the moment but you can still find copies of it on Amazon. It is advertised as 'the cookbook that makes all you other cookbooks work' and it is to this book that I have gone to give you some equivalent measurements. Many of my recipes come from North America where they use volume rather than weight to measure dry ingredients, such as sugar and flour. It is easy for a European cook to use these recipes as long as they have a liquid measuring jug and remember that a North American cup is 8 oz (and not 10).

1 C = 8 fl. oz
1/4 C = 2 fl. oz
1/3 C = 3 fl. oz
1/2 C = 4 fl. oz
3/4 C = 6 fl. oz

With butter:
4 oz. = 1/2 C
8 oz. = 1 C


I also use abbreviations when I write out my recipes. They are as follows:

t = teaspoon
T = tablespoon
C = cup

No comments: