Wednesday 21 January 2009

Cheap Food

The story continues on the issue of cheap food. Mary Jane and Naomi have both made comments on the previous post which are worth reading. Naomi pointed out that there is a program on channel 4 tomorrow evening on which the article I read was based. She's right that it could put you off processed food forever. However, I'm not a big one for processed food so I should be able to avoid most of those pitfalls. But what about other types of food that aren't processed such as Mary Jane pointed out. Chick peas, who would have thought that they could be a problem and I suppose that anything from China should be considered as suspicious.

I suppose the answer is to buy basic ingredients and build meals from those. However, if you don't have the expertise that can be quite difficult. I have just finished making the recipe from a few posts back for Banana-Chocolate energy bars. So far so good! They are sweetened by the bananas and the oatmeal makes them slow digesting. I'm not sure about the bitter chocolate but I shall give them a try and test my blood sugar levels and see what happens. They taste great and would be something simple to make for children and adults for the lunch box.

I shall watch the programme tomorrow night on cheap supermarket food and report back. I hope it isn't too disgusting!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Am interested in hearing Naomi and Susan comment on the television program re cheap food. Mary Jane