Wednesday 11 March 2009

Butternut Squash Soup

I bought a butternut squash at the supermarket last week because it looked interesting and it's also in season here at the moment. I wasn't sure what to do with it. Then I had the most wonderful butternut squash soup at a friend's house at this prompted me to investigate recipes. This isn't her recipe but it looks easy and tasty, two qualities which are highly valued in my house at the minute!

I large butternut squash
500g potatoes
1 onion
coriander leaves (optional)
1 stock cube
butter and olive oil
cream
pepper.

Peel the squash with a potato peeler, cut in half, scoop out the seeds and cut into 1 inch cubes. Melt the butter in the olive oil and fry the onions until soft but not browned. Chop the potatoes (peeled or not) into 1 inch cubes and add to the onions. Add the squash, cover and cook for ten minutes, turning everything to make sure it get coated in the olive oil. Add the stock and 1litre of water or enough to just cover the veggies. Cook until everything is soft. Season and top with a little cream! I'm not sure when you're supposed to add the coriander but I suppose you could garnish it with some at the end.
I don't know why I'm so into soups at the minute! It could be a combination of the weather and thinking about recipes I can make for Noah in a few months time!

1 comment:

Mary Jane Murray said...

This recipe looks good...will put it on my "to try" list.

Butternut Squash is one of our favourites. Sometimes I find it very difficult to cut and once was tempted, but resisted, buying it already cut up and wrapped in plastic in the produce section at a much higher price than whole.

I've discovered that the produce department people will cheerfully take my whole, and much cheaper, squash into the back and cut in half or quarters with their saw.

I didn't ask the first time, they just offered when they saw me looking at the precut and prepacked squash. And, of course, every time I buy Butternut Squash I go back to that store even it if means going out of my way.

Here's to good soup and good service.