Sunday 8 March 2009

From frozen vegetables to frozen fish

Last weekend, I went off to the frozen food section of my supermarket in search of broccoli and instead ended up looking at fish. Fresh fish is wonderful but very expensive. Over a year ago I bought frozen fish to make a fish pie. Obviously for pies and chowders you don't need fresh fish so since frozen is less expensive, it is the way to go. To my delight (and that of my wallet) I found 500 gram packages of individually vacuum packed pieces of haddock from Iceland for £1. I was expecting a lot more and still have no idea why it should be so inexpensive. Could it be the devaluation of the Icelandic currency? I don't know but we have been feasting on fish. The first night we had it oven cooked in foil. I put pesto sauce on mine and also included tomatoes, red pepper and snap peas. Tomorrow night we're having breaded fish and later in the week, either fish pie or a chowder. YUM. It pays to have a look in the freezers at the supermarket.

3 comments:

Mary Jane Murray said...

A delicious post..thanks. I alwasy have pesto in the fridge but have never put it on fish. Thanks for the idea.

Naomi said...

Pesto is great on salmon too. I bought a pot of red pepper pesto and mixed some with bread crumbs. I then put it on some salmon fillets I had (frozen of course) and put it in the oven. It made a nice crust on top of the fish!

Mary Jane Murray said...

Naomi, your tip re red pepper pest on salmon fillets..thank-you, I'm going to try that..mj