Thursday 26 June 2008

Limit Your Repertoire

"Limit your repertoire. Variety may be the spice of life, but too much will give you indigestion. Most of us have kitchens filled with ingredients (especially spices) that we rarely use. One strategy is to collect about two weeks worth of recipes that meet your criteria for both cost and nutrition. Cycle through them, then begin again. Or designate each day of the week for focusing on a particular type of food: Monday, soup in cold months and salad in warm months; Tuesday, tofu; Wednesday, pasta; Thursday, eggs; Friday, pizza, Saturday, sandwiches; Sunday, beans and rice. Variety and flexibility are built in. Soup might be from a can, from a mix or from scratch depending what is on sale and what is in the cupboard. By beginning with just a couple recipes for each category, the system stays manageable."

Does this sound familiar? It comes from an article written by Meg McGowen which I highlighted in an earlier posting. It makes a lot of sense and when I look at the way I cook, I suppose that is what I do. After years of preparing meals, it is almost second nature. However, I do like to add new recipes now and again to my repertoire and I suppose that once every two weeks you could have a 'new recipe' day. I am going to re-examine the recipes I cook and see if I can't come up with a two week cycle and see how it works. I like the idea that you would have a number of recipes to call on in each category. More to come. However not for a week or so since I am off to Dorset to enjoy country cooking beside the sea! Hopefully I'll come back with more ideas!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Susan is away for a few days. While she is gone, I wll try to restrain myself from indulging in some simple pranksterism on the live more with less blog....