Monday 23 June 2008

Mary Jane's Strawberry Jam in Winter

Strawberry Jam in Winter....

Make when frozen strawberries are found on sale.

I buy a bag of frozen strawberries and it on the counter for about 20 minutes to thaw a bit.

I put the thawing berries into a pot with about a cup of brown sugar and the juice of a juicy lemon.

I cook the ingredients over medium heat till it is at stage where it darkens, thickens and "spits" at you. You need to stir constantly or it will burn.

Then I take it off the heat and let it cool a bit before putting into some jars. When fully cooled, the jars of jam must be refrigerated (at least I think they "must" refrigerated but I may be wrong).

I've played with this one a bit. I like it with orange rind grated into it but Mike prefers it without.

It's more like strawberry preserves than strawberry jam.

I don't think I'll ever use fresh strawberries for jam again as the frozen ones here are usually very good for jam and usually cheaper than fresh even when fresh are at their peak. mj

No comments: