Tuesday 24 February 2009

Frozen Vegetables

I had a eureka moment on the weekend. I always buy frozen peas, even in the summer, since fresh peas are so expensive. I went shopping on Sunday and intended buying fresh broccoli. Suddenly I realized that we were in the middle of the winter. What was I doing buying fresh broccoli? It will have come from overseas, it certainly is expensive and I don't need unfrozen broccoli since I don't eat it raw. I bought a huge package of it frozen and it will go much further and for far less money. This is what I used to do years ago. How did I fall out of the habit? I won't make this mistake again.

Here is a link to an article from the BBC website suggesting that out of season, frozen vegetables are the healthier options. Interesting!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2902223.stm

3 comments:

Naomi said...

Huh, I hadn't thought of that. I do remember having frozen mixed vegetables as I child, peas. corn and carrots I think!

Naomi said...

You probably fell out of the habit whilst we were in Cyprus and Syria!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder about frozen vegetables. I do use frozen corn, just rinse in hot water and throw into recipe. Why haven't I used frozen broccolli? It would be so handy to have it in freezer....will buy a bag this weekend...thanks...mj