Friday 29 April 2011

Muesli Recipes

In the tradition of trying to find ways of saving money, I have been trying muesli recipes to compliment my collection of granola recipes.

This from the BBC website.  I made some changes because I was making it with my grand-son Noah in mind and I don't think that too much in the way of dried fruit.  I changed saltanas for raisins, left out the hazelnuts because I didn't have any and also omitted the other dry fruit.  I will probably leave out the apricots and figs when I make it for myself since there is too much sugar in the fruits for a diabetic.

Ingredients

  • 200g/7oz jumbo porridge oats
  • 25g/1oz flaked bran or wheat germ
  • 75g/3oz barley or rye flakes
  • 50g/2oz hazelnuts, lightly crushed
  • 50g/2oz flaked almonds
  • 50g/2oz sultanas
  • 50g/2oz dried, ready-to-eat apricots, roughly chopped
  • 50g/2oz dried, ready-to-eat figs, roughly chopped

Preparation method

  1. Preheat the oven to 160C/325F/Gas 3.
  2. Place the oats, flaked bran or wheat germ, barley or rye flakes, hazelnuts and almonds on a large baking tray and toast in the oven for 10 minutes, shaking and turning in the tray halfway through. Take the tray from the oven and leave to cool: this should take only about 10 minutes.
  3. Mix the toasted ingredients with the sultanas, apricots and figs. These fruits are only suggestions: you can use whatever you prefer, for example dried apple, mango, papaya, dates or cherries.
  4. You can eat this muesli straight away with milk.

    c. http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/basicmuesli_67724

No comments: